My initial plan to control the pinball machine was so have a computer communicate through a USB link to control all my electronics. Apparently, that's pretty difficult. Thankfully, microcontrollers exist. Microcontrollers are, in essence, programmable chips. Kind of like a mini-computer that controls the voltages to a number of pins or reads the voltages off those pins. Start varying voltages and you've got signals. I borrowed a Arduino microcontroller from a friend of mine who happens to be an electronics wizz. I did a couple basic things with it. I started with the all important turning on a LED (with a resistor this time!). Then I used the transistors from my now disassembled electronics kit, to power the LEDs from a power source other than the microcontroller itself as it can only supply so much power. The Arduino's software is C based which is really close to Java which is the only programming language I learned in class....
Comments
Post a Comment